Colegio Americano de Quito opened its doors on October 14, 1940 to 162 students.
Colegio Americano de Quito opened its doors on October 14, 1940 to 162 students. The process for its foundation was initiated in 1939 by Galo Plaza Lasso, President of the Republic of Ecuador, and later General Secretary of the Organization of American States (OAS), together with Mr. Boaz Long, representative of the Government of the United States in Ecuador.
A group of Ecuadorian families and from the US diplomatic mission, as well as multinational companies, joined in this process. At that time, the founders of the School had only two options for the education of their children: Roman – Catholic schools or the German School.
At the early stages of the school, a co-operative of parents was formed, which was replaced by the Foundation in 1988. AdvancED accredited the school in 1948, obtaining the category of “experimental” from the Ministry of Education in 1948, 1985 and finally in 1994.
The International Baccalaureate Program was implemented in 1991. Currently, Colegio Americano offers the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program, Middle Years Program and Diploma Program. The school has served its students in three different buildings, and moved to its current facilities in 1983.